Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2011

New Year

And so I begin the next chapter in my life as a full-day kindergarten teacher.  The experience of actually landing a job in today's economy has been incredibly surreal.  I still sometimes believe that I've just been ignoring my normal daily duties of searching for teaching positions, other times I'm incredibly tempted to log on to K12 or local school district websites to see what "could have been."  But so far, I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. 

I need to fully accept this position with a full heart and optimism, despite the fact that I never ever ever wanted to teach kindergarten.  Ever.  Believe me, teaching 8th grade for one year was one of the best things that ever happened to me, and I think about those kids every day (they are going to be juniors in high school, can't believe it).  But someone, actually many people, kept telling me that everything happens for a reason, and that when God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.  Eventually, I stopped believing them because I just couldn't see where this path was leading.  I mean honestly, 8th grade teacher/kindergarten enrichment teacher/teacher's aide and then two years as a special education aide with autistic children?  What a crazy ride! (Not to mention resume). In the end, it's God's decision, and for some reason, right now, he wants me to teach kindergarten.  So here I go.

Got to work in my room today for the first time.  It was actually pretty cool.  The building was so quiet and I just kept circling around the room throwing things in random shelves and cupboards, having no idea what I was doing.  I'm room 106, close to music, lunch room, and bathroom so that's pretty cool.  I have way too many toys in my room and they made me a little disgusted because I have no idea where they came from and they are kinda gross.  Lots to do for the boys, which is great, toy trucks and things of that nature.

So how did I begin to prepare for this new challenge?  Well, I started immediately because how dare I waste my own time by actually enjoying summer?  I ordered a bunch of books off of Amazon about how to teach kindergarten.  Some were more helpful than others, the best was Kindergarten in Photographs by Jasmine Greene, she is wonderful, very straightforward and so many good ideas that I am totally borrowing.  I also got some tips from the good old Internet, including various kindergarten blogs (some of those ladies are so talented and creative and generous, I hope someday I will be able to return the favor), TeachersPayTeachers.com, and YouTube videos of kindergarten morning meeting and the like.  Next were visits with former kindergarten teachers Erica and Kathy who gave me some expectations for what the year would be like.  And finally, coffee and a chat with my teammates. 

The shopping was stressful because as soon as I crossed all of my stores off my list, I had to create a whole new list because of my constant flow of ideas.  Finally, I just had to put my foot down.  Overall, I didn't spend as much money as I thought since I had a lot of hand-me-downs from my cousin Melissa and from Kathy (including 25 years worth of books).  I think I spent just as much money on new clothes (comfy yet professional) as I did on school supplies.  Some do need to be returned and a few things still need to be purchased such as trays and some math manipulatives (so expensive!).  I just want everything to be done so that I can start planning for my kiddos but first things first.

I feel like as much as my parents have been supporting me throughout this whole job search, they aren't as involved as I would like them to be in the preparation process.  My father could care less quite literally.  Mother asks questions but is so involved in sending kid brother to college that everything I do is overshadowed by her loss...oh Lord.  The joys of having a brother six years younger, he keeps me young though. 

I think I'm going to like my team and the two new girls I met today were very nice and I think similar to me which is good good good since I tend to get along with people just like me (not too outgoing or boisterous, they just annoy me).

So tomorrow I have decided to spend the day with two of my favorite guys, my brother, who is leaving for school in a little less than a week for the first time, and a good friend who is somewhat of a long lost friend but still tride and true.  I hope to let go of some of this fear and worry and just enjoy myself and believe that it's all going to be okay.

I plan to keep blogging throughout the school year as a sort of reflection, because I have found that writing can be such a wonderful and effective way to reflect upon a person's day.

Adios amigos!  Off to the world of Skippyjon and Junie B. (Jones).

No comments:

Post a Comment