Search This Blog

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Adult Book Review-The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

This book started out great and really had me glued for awhile, but then it got really depressing and dull.  I thought that the story would follow the childhood and adulthood of Phoebe, the daughter with Down's Syndrome that Dr. David Henry gave away, but instead the reader spends most of the time learning about Dr. Henry's wife, Norah, and the son he chose to keep, Paul.  I found Norah to be completely ridiculous, and I didn't feel sorry for her in the least bit.  She obviously had no intention of making the marriage work, and the way she behaved compared to her husband's behavior was unbelievable.  I think the point of this book is to examine marriage and children and how things may not turn out the way you expect them to.  The reader knows that the Henry's marriage is doomed from the moment he gives Caroline the baby, so I think the time between then and the divorce was drawn out way too much.  I wanted to know more about Phoebe and the struggles that Caroline had to face raising her.  The most interesting part of the book for me was when Caroline had no where to go and she was stuck in a grocery store parking lot with a newborn baby and a truck driver she had never met.  That part was a tough situation and it was interesting and I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen and what Caroline was going to do.  The surprise death at the end left me shocked for a bit and then sad because it left some relationships unmended forever.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/3567142-leane%22%3EView All my reviews...

No comments:

Post a Comment